Day Trips

01 02 »

Pennabilli - Petrella Guidi - Sant'Agata Feltria (approx.26 Km)

Pennabilli Two steep hills called "Rupe" (cliff) and "Roccione" (big rock), surrounded in the background by the woody tableland of the west-side of Carpegna-mountain, in the green area of the Sasso Simone Park, characterize the old town of Pennabilli, where, in the neighbourhood, as the many archaeological excavations demonstrate, Etruscan and Umbrian people settled.Many evidences of this important past are represented by valuable architectural works, as manifest signs of the original town-plan, which can be distinguished still today. In the castle of Penna, as well as the Gates, there are: the Palace of Bargello (ancient prison), the hamlet of St. Rocco (once hospital for pilgrims), the Sanctuary of Virgin Mary of Grace with the miraculous fresco (the Madonna image shed tears in 1489, according to the archive chronicles). The union of the two castles produced the development of the city in the Renaissance, all around the Fountain of Peace, with the "Palazzo della Ragione" by the Medici-family and the Cathedral dating back to the 16th century.A big cultural interest has as well the Diocesan Museum (at the moment closed for restoration), with an historical and artistic patrimony collected all around in the Montefeltro region.
Petrella Guidi
The Petrella Guidi village and castle dates as far back as the Middle Ages when it was a fortified hillside town governed by a noble faction. Throughout history, the medieval village passed through many different noble families. The original castle of Petrella Guidi was surrounded by two walls—both of which can still be seen. Today, Petrella Guidi is a bit of a historical hideaway. It was “re-discovered” and renovated so that it could be recreated as the medieval village it once was. It’s a good representation of what other 13th century castles of similar sizes would have looked like. Walking through the town was a bit like stepping back into history. It’s a bit of a quirky place because everything looks so pretty and pristine, but then you remember that much of these buildings are quite old.
Sant'Agata Feltria Located on the border between the Marches and Romagna, between the Savio and Marecchia Valleys, Sant’Agata Feltria is one of the Montefeltro area’s most characteristic towns.In addition to the Rocca Fregoso (Fregoso Fortress), mentioned above, Sant’Agata also features a wonderful historical center in perfect condition, as well as various building complexes of considerable historical value, such as the Convento e Chiesa di San Girolamo (Convent and Church of St. Jerome), the Chiesa Collegiata (Collegiate Church), the Convento delle Clarisse (Poor Clare Convent) and the Chiesa di San Apollinare (St. Apollinaire’s Church), which contains a miraculous image of the Virgin. Sant’Agata is especially well-known for its Fiera del Tartufo Bianco Pregiato e dei Prodotti Agro Silvo Pastorali (National Fair of Prized White Truffle and of Farming and Forest Products), a national event that is held each year on Sundays in October.

   

Torricella - Maiolo - Talamello - San Leo (approx. 45.2Km./1 hour 10 minutes drive)

Torricella Torricella Torricella, between the centers of Valmarecchia left in the river, offers the best and most fully preserves the appearance of a medieval castle, and that shows absolutely remarkable building wealth and nobility. Starting from the door, which remains visible the arch surmounted by the emblem of Frederick affixed in 1474. The church became a parish church in 500, has undergone major renovations between 1833 and 1864. Sacrificial altar. On the way to Libiano is this mysterious monument rock, consisting of a large rock on which are carved out of two tanks with canals and pans. It 'a very common type of artifact in the Valmarecchia. It remains unknown whether the original purpose and of any subsequent destinations. Canadeo. Wonderful large home owners, in three bodies, planting low-eighteenth-century pre-existing medieval. Bonci belonged to the family, "one of the most distinguished and oldest Torricella extinct in the eighteenth century. Ca 'Biagioni. Complex on the right bank of the manor Marecchia. Baffoni Mill. Always on the right bank of the river remains in fairly good condition, this mill hydraulic grain in a much altered building to the truth. and 'room, however, intact in mills, with two wheels in parallel center. in the village which lies around the church and the castle which was a time, the plant remains clearly visible urban type castrensian military structure but no defense.
San Leo is home to a large fortress at an altitude of 600 metres above sea level.
The fortress of San Leo is undoubtly the most well-known in the Dukedom; It enjoys a great fame as a military bulwark, unconquerable less for its fortifications than for its extraordinary geographical position. Nevertheless, this fortress too, necessitated remarkable restoration works during the course of the centuries, both because of the continuous landslides and the ambition to keep it always perfectly efficient. It was known as the "eternal object of contention" between the families of Malatesta and Montefeltro in the arshest land of their borders. The time of the fortress's first constrction is unknown, but surely it was during the Longobard age. The old body of the fortress dates to the time of the Malatestas, who restored and modified it. However, only under Federico the fortress underwent substantial changes. This happened around the second half of the 1470s at the same time of the fortress of Cagli, or at least few years before.
   

Sansepolcro - Anghiari (approx. 49Km)

Sansepolcro (former Borgo Santo Sepolcro), is a town and comune in Tuscany, Italy, in the province of Arezzo.
Situated on the Tiber river, it was the birthplace of the painters Piero della Francesca, Raffaellino del Colle (a pupil of Raphael) and Angiolo Tricca. It was also the birthplace of the Italian mathematician Luca Pacioli. According to the tradition, the town was founded around 1000 AD by two pilgrims (Arcanus and Aegidius), who founded here an oratory (where now is the Cathedral) during their homecoming from the Holy Land. English writer Aldous Huxley described the Resurrection by Piero della Francesca, which is in the Museo Civico, as "the greatest painting in the world". The museum collection includes three other works by Piero della Francesca and many other treasures including paintings by Santi di Tito, Raffaellino del Colle and Luca Signorelli.
 

Repubblica di San Marino - Rimini (approx 66Km)

San Marino, officially the Republic of San Marino Italian: Repubblica di San Marino, also known as the Most Serene Republic of San Marino), is a country situated on the eastern side of the Apennine Mountains. It is an enclave surrounded by Italy. Its size is just over 61 km2 (24 sq mi) with an estimated population of over 30,000. Its capital is the City of San Marino. One of the European microstates, along with Liechtenstein, the Vatican, Monaco, Andorra, and Malta, San Marino has the smallest population of all the members of the Council of Europe.
 

Verucchio - Torriana - Montebello (approx 48Km)

San Marino, officially the Republic of San Marino Italian: Repubblica di San Marino, also known as the Most Serene Republic of San Marino), is a country situated on the eastern side of the Apennine Mountains. It is an enclave surrounded by Italy. Its size is just over 61 km2 (24 sq mi) with an estimated population of over 30,000. Its capital is the City of San Marino. One of the European microstates, along with Liechtenstein, the Vatican, Monaco, Andorra, and Malta, San Marino has the smallest population of all the members of the Council of Europe.
 


 - Mediabuster© -